a) Backstroke b) Breaststroke c) Sidestroke d) Butterfly e) Freestyle
2. Modern swimming typically takes place in ________.
a) A swimming pool b) Lakes and rivers c) The ocean d) One’s bathtub
3. Which governing body oversees the sport of competitive swimming?
a) FINA b) Amateur Swimming Association c) World Swimming Federation d) IOC
4. A typical swimwear is consisted of ________.
a) Suit, cap, earplug
b) Suit, earplug, breathing device
c) Suit, breathing device, goggles
d) Suit, goggles, cap
e) Suit only
5. When did swimming first become an Olympic sport?
a) 1896 b) 1920 c) 1948 d) 1976 e) 2000
6. The composition of swimming, cycling and running forms the basis for which competitive sport?
a) Biathlon b) Triathlon c) Pentathlon d) Decathlon e) Ironman
7. Who is the only swimmer in history to win eight gold medals in a single Olympics?
a) Mark Spitz b) Michael Phelps c) Johnny Weissmuller d) Ian Thorpe
8. The youngest male and female swimmers to win an Olympic gold medal both came from this country. Which country is it?
a) Japan b) China c) USA d) Australia e) Germany
9. Which of these distances has never been attempted in a pool competition?
a) 400 meters b) 800m c) 1500m d) 3000m e) Both C and D
10. Open water swimming typically takes place in ________.
a) Oceans b) Lakes c) Rivers d) Bays e) All of the above
11. Which country has historically been the dominant swimming nation at the Olympics?
a) Australia b) USA c) Germany d) Japan e) Russia
12. True or False. The World Swimming Championships is the second most important swimming meet, behind only the Olympics.
1)c 2)a 3)a 4)d 5)a 6)b 7)b 8)a 9)d 10)e 11)b 12)True
Master – 12 correct answers
Expert – 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate – 7 to 9 correct
Beginner – 4 to 6 correct
Novice – Less than 4 correct