a) Fire b) Wind c) Air d) All of these
2. What is the primary difference between a regular sailboat and a yacht?
a) Aesthetics b) Design c) Size d) No difference
3. In competitive sailing, a fleet race involves how many boats?
a) Two (1 vs. 1)
b) More than 2
4. The sport of sailing made its official Olympic debut in ______.
a) 1896 b) 1900 c) 1952 d) 1956
5. What is the name of the special harbor where sailboats and leisure yachts are idlely stored?
a) Port b) Dockyard c) Wharf d) Marina
6. In olden times, sailing was considered the sport or leisure activity of ________.
a) The wealthy b) The poor c) Everyone
7. Which of these sailing classes is no longer part of the Olympics?
a) 49er b) 470 c) Finn d) Laser e) Windglider
8. Who is the governing body of competitive sailing?
a) ISO b) WS c) IOC d) FIFA
9. The America's Cup is the premier event in sailing. It is a competition between ______.
a) Individuals b) Countries c) Continents d) Yacht clubs
10. Which of these knot types is considered quintessential to a sailor?
a) Cleat b) Sheet bend c) Reef knot d) Bowline
11. Which of the following countries has NEVER won an Olympic gold medal in sailing?
a) China b) Canada c) Brazil d) Finland e) Israel
12. True or false. In California and other U.S. coastal states, it is not uncommon that people live aboard their sailboats or yachts (primary residences).
1)b 2)c 3)b 4)b 5)d 6)a 7)e 8)b 9)d 10)d 11)b 12)True
Master - 12 correct answers
Expert - 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate - 7 to 9 correct
Beginner - 4 to 6 correct
Novice - Less than 4 correct