a) The celebration of Jesus' resurrection
b) The remembrance of Jesus' death
c) The commemoration of Jesus' ascension
2. Good Friday is observed as a public holiday in many countries. Which of the following is NOT one of them?
a) Germany b) New Zealand c) Canada d) Ireland
3. It is believed that Jesus promised one of the two thieves being crucified along him a place in his kingdom after the person displayed humility. Which one was it?
a) The one to his right
b) The one to his left
c) Not specified
4. Who ordered the execution of Jesus?
a) King Herod b) Pontius Pilate c) Caiaphas the High Priest
5. The United States does not observe Good Friday as a federal holiday, but _____ states observe it as a state holiday.
a) 12 b) 22 c) 32 d) 42
6. True or false. Although most Christians are not required to fast on Good Friday, they are required to abstain from eating meat.
7. Which of these commercial activities in the U.S. is closed on Good Friday?
a) Banks b) Post offices c) Stock markets d) All of these
8. How many scenes are there in the Stations of the Cross (or Way of the Cross) that depict Jesus' last moments?
a) 8 b) 14 c) 15 d) 21
9. What is the name of the saint who offered Jesus her veil to wipe blood and sweat from his face on his way to Calvary where he was crucified?
a) St. Magdalene b) St. Martha c) St. Veronica
10. Who among Jesus' twelve disciples betrayed him leading to his capture and death?
a) Peter b) Judas c) Thomas d) Bartholomew
11. On the Roman Catholic calendar, Good Friday and one other day are designated as a fast day. What is the other day?
a) Palm Sunday b) Easter b) Maundy Thursday c) Ash Wednesday
12. True or false. One of the more popular explanations for the origin of the term "Good" in Good Friday is that it means "Holy" in old English.
1)b 2)d 3)a 4)b 5)a 6)F 7)c 8)b 9)c 10)b 11)c 12)T
Master - 12 correct answers
Expert - 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate - 7 to 9 correct
Beginner - 4 to 6 correct
Novice - Less than 4 correct