a) Cultural b) Civic c) Religious d) None of these
2. Which ethnic group typically observes Purim?
a) Arabs b) Jewish c) Asians d) Africans
3. Purim is celebrated in which month?
a) February b) March c) April d) Varies by year
4. Observers of Purim listen to public readings of which holy book in the Hebrew Bible?
a) Book of Job b) Book of Ruth c) Book of Esther d) Book of Daniel
5. What kind of beverage is usually consumed in Purim's celebration?
a) Wine b) Beer c) Soda d) Grape juice
6. Which traditional Jewish cuisine (food) is associated with the Purim holiday?
a) Latkes b) Lekach c) Hamantashen d) Rugelach
7. In World War II, a number of Jews were targeted and killed during Purim by this member of the Axis power.
a) Fascist Italy b) Nazi Germany c) Imperial Japan
8. According to traditions, Purim commemorates the deliverance of the Jewish people from Haman the Evil in which ancient empire?
a) Egyptian b) Persian c) Greek d) Roman
9. Which of the following is NOT a common Purim activity or celebration?
a) Give money to charity
b) Take part in a festive meal
c) Light the menorah
d) Send food gifts to friends and family members
10. Mishloach manot is a popular Purim gift. What type of gift is it?
a) A basket of holy candles b) A basket of ready-to-eat foods c) A basket of flowers
11. A Purim spiel is a play or theater production of which genre?
a) Satire/Comedy b) Mystery c) Drama/Romance d)Tragedy
12. True or false. On the day of Purim, people fast from dawn to noon before the traditional meal.
1)c 2)b 3)d 4)c 5)a 6)c 7)b 8)b 9)c 10)b 11)a 12)F
Master - 12 correct answers
Expert - 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate - 7 to 9 correct
Beginner - 4 to 6 correct
Novice - Less than 4