a) The Sunshine State b) The Golden State c) The Bay State
2. What is the capital of California?
a) Los Angeles b) San Francisco c) San Diego d) Sacramento
3. Due to its geographical location, California is prone to this type of natural disaster.
a) Tsunami b) Earthquake c) Hurricane d) Tornado
4. Before the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, California was a territory of which country?
a) Britain b) Spain c) Mexico d) Canada e) France
5. What is a distinct feature of California's state flag?
a) Image of two deers and an eagle
b) Image of a white buffalo
c) Image of a bear
d) Image of a bald eagle
6. Based on recent election results, the political trend in California can be described as ________.
a) Moderate/Independent b) Liberal c) Conservative
7. Located in the Los Angeles region, Hollywood is considered the capital of which industry?
a) Entertainment/Film b) Fashion c) Technology d) Energy
8. True or False. According to California's laws, the governor (the state's highest elected official) can only be removed from office by impeachment.
9. In earliest days of California (as a U.S. territory), many people were drawn to the state by the prospect of ______.
a) Jobs b) Oil c) Diamond d) Gold
10. Which of the following is the official state flower of California?
a) Wild rose b) Golden poppy c) Orange blossom d) Dogwood
11. What is the title of a John Steinbeck's novel that chronicles one family's migration from Oklahoma (in the aftermath of the Dust Bowl) to California and their subsequent hardships?
a) East of Eden b) Of Mice and Men c) In Dubious Battle d) The Grapes of Wrath
12. True or false. California is the most populous state in the United States.
1)b 2)d 3)b 4)c 5)c 6)b 7)a 8)F 9)d 10)b 11)d 12)T
Master - 12 correct answers
Expert - 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate - 7 to 9 correct
Beginner - 4 to 6 correct
Novice - Less than 4 correct