a) Black people in all countries b) Citizens of Africa c) African Americans
2. Which month of the year has been designated as Black History Month in the U.S.?
a) January b) February c) March d) December e) Varies by year
3. What is the defamatory term that was formerly used to identify a person of black ancestry?
a) Black b) African American c) Southerner d) Negro
4. In early American history, many black people came to the United States as ________.
a) Servants b) Slaves c) Prisoners d) Merchants
5. Who was a leader of the civil rights movement that successfully fought for the eradication of racial segregation and discrimination?
a) W. E. B. Du Bois
b) Malcolm X
c) Rosa Parks
d) Martin Luther King Jr.
e) All of the above
6. The first and only U.S. president of black ancestry was ________.
a) Nelson Mandela b) Frederick Douglass c) Jesse Jackson d) Al Sharpton e) Barack Obama
7. Black History Month (in its current form) was first established in which year?
a) 1976 b) 1980 c) 1984 d) 1988 e) 1992
8. While most Black Americans are followers of Christianity, some are followers of ________.
a) Buddhism b) Judaism c) Islam d) Hinduism e) Shamanism
9. Which U.S. president signed into law the Emancipation Proclamation, helping to put an end to slavery?
a) George Washington b) Abraham Lincoln c) Lyndon Johnson d) Bill Clinton
10. Who was a 3-time world heavyweight champion of boxing, whose nickname was “The Greatest”?
a) Joe Louis b) George Foreman c) Mike Tyson d) Joe Frazier e) Muhammad Ali
11. Oprah Winfrey, an African American, is one of the richest people in America. What is her primary profession or business?
a) Lawyer b) TV host/producer c) Professional athlete d) Stock market investor e) Novelist
12. True or False. A majority of players in the NBA and NFL are Black Americans.
1)c 2)b 3)d 4)b 5)e 6)e 7)a 8)c 9)b 10)e 11)b 12)T
Master – 12 correct answers
Expert – 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate – 7 to 9 correct
Beginner – 4 to 6 correct
Novice – Less than 4