a) Commemorative holiday b) Religious holiday c) Special annual occasion
2. On what day is Groundhog Day celebrated?
a) January 2 b) February 2 c) March 2 d) Varies by year
3. How is Groundhog Day celebrated?
a) Attend ceremony/festival
b) Re-watch the classic movie Groundhog Day
c) Play the prediction game/holiday trivia
d) All of the above
4. According to Groundhog Day folklore, winter will continue for at least how many more weeks if the groundhog sees his shadow upon leaving his burrow?
a) 1 week b) 3 c) 6 d) 9
5. Groundhog Day celebrations take place in many parts of the country. The most notable festival is held in __________.
a) Howell, Michigan
b) Aurora, Colorado
c) Woodstock, Illinois
d) Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania
6. In popular culture, the phrase "Groundhog Day" is used to express what type of sentiment? Pick the best answer.
a) A sense of happiness
b) A sense of deja vu
c) A sense of confusion
d) There's no specific sentiment
7. Groundhog Day was popularized by a 1993 movie of the same name. Which actor played the movie's main character?
a) Adam Sandler b) Ben Stiller c) Robin Williams d) Bill Murray
8. Which Christian holiday coincides with Groundhog Day (celebrated on the same day)?
a) Candlemas b) Ash Wednesday c) Epiphany d) None
9. The traditions of Groundhog Day are believed to originate from immigrants who came from this European country.
a) Britain b) France c) Germany d) Norway
10. Although festival organizers claim high accurary rates for Groundhog Day forecasts, weather organizations have generallly estimated the success rate to be ________.
a) Less than 50% b) More than 50% c) Close to 100% d) Close to 0%
11. Which sequel to a Disney animated movie made references to Groundhog Day?
a) The Little Mermaid 2 b) The Lion King 2 c) Cinderella 2 d) Bambi 2
12. True or False. The most famous weather-predicting groundhog is Punxsutawney Phil.
1)c 2)b 3)d 4)c 5)d 6)b 7)d 8)a 9)c 10)a 11)d 12)T
Master - 12 correct answers
Expert - 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate - 7 to 9 correct
Beginner - 4 to 6 correct
Novice - Less than 4