This earthquake trivia quiz has 12 multiple-choice questions. Answers can be found at the end of the quiz. Enjoy and be educated.
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the major causes of earthquakes?
a) Movement in geological faults
b) Volcanic activities
c) Nuclear tests or big explosions
d) Powerful hurricanes
2. According to the Richter Scale, the highest possible magnitude for an earthquake is ______.
a) 8.0 b) 9.0 c) 10.0 d) Over 10
3. Major earthquakes sometimes trigger tsunamis. Which of these geological locations would be most affected by a tsunami? (Best Answer)
a) Islands b) Coastal areas c) Areas near volcanoes d) Both A & B
4. In December 2004, a major Indian Ocean earthquake followed by a devastating tsunami took the lives of how many people?
a) 2,000+ b) 20,000+ c) 200,000+ d) 2 million+
5. In Greek mythology, which Olympian deity was said to be responsible for causing earthquakes?
a) Poseidon b) Zeus c) Hades d) Hermes
6. True or False. A 9.0-magnitude earthquake is two times more powerful than a 7.0-magnitude quake.
7. The study of earthquake is called ________.
a) Meteorology b) Seismology c) Orology d) No defined term
8. Which of the following is NOT one of the geological faults or fault systems located in California, USA?
a) Ramapo b) San Andreas c) Hayward d) Imperial
9. Major or moderate earthquakes are known to trigger a series of smaller quakes called ________.
a) Seismic activites b) Aftershocks c) No specific name
10. In recorded history, no major earthquake (7.0 or higher) has ever directly hit this country.
a) Italy b) Portugal c) Russia d) England
11. In Voltaire's satirical novella Candide, he made references to the Great Lisbon Earthquake. What year did the infamous earthquake occur?
a) 1655 b) 1755 c) 1855 d) 1955
12. True or False. California has never had an earthquake of magnitude 8.2 or higher.
1)d 2)d 3)d 4)c 5)a 6)F 7)b 8)a 9)b 10)d 11)b 12)T
Master - 12 correct answers
Expert - 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate - 7 to 9 correct
Beginner - 4 to 6 correct
Novice - Less than 4