a) Winter solstice b) Winter equinox c) No specific name
2. Which of these weather phrases best describes winter?
a) Stormy and wet
b) Hot and dry
c) Cool and breezy
d) Frosty and snowy
3. Winter is synonymous with which major world holiday?
a) New Year Day b) Christmas c) Easter d) Eid Al-Fitr
4. The most popular wintertime activity is ________.
a) Shopping b) Reading c) Snow playing/ice skating d) Watching classic movies on TV
5. The Winter Olympics is a major sporting event that takes place in winter. This competition is held every ___ years.
a) 2 b) 4 c) 6 d) Varies
6. Who is the mythical figure that was said to be responsible for winter’s icy and freezing conditions?
a) Santa Claus b) Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer c) Uncle Sam d) Jack Frost
7. Which industry is responsible for most of the temporary job hiring in winter?
a) Computer b) Retail c) Construction d) Government
8. Which temperate season precedes winter?
a) Summer b) Spring c) Autumn
9. Ice hockey is a popular winter sport. The biggest professional ice hockey championship is _________.
a) The Super Bowl b) The Stanley Cup c) Wimbledon
10. Who was the author of the quintessential winter song, Jingle Bells?
a) James Lord Pierpont b) Irving Berlin c) Johnny Marks d) José Feliciano
11. Which weather event usually happens in winter?
a) Tornado b) Hurricane c) Blizzard d) Flooding
12. True or False. Winter is the year’s coldest season.
1)a 2)d 3)b 4)c 5)b 6)d 7)b 8)c 9)b 10)a 11)c 12)T
Master - 12 correct answers
Expert - 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate - 7 to 9 correct
Beginner - 4 to 6 correct
Novice - Less than 4