a) Orchid b) Daisy c) Rose d) Tulip
2. What type of flowers would come back year after year?
a) Annuals b) Perennials c) Both
3. The expressive flowers often featured in Vincent van Gogh's paintings are ________.
a) Water lilies b) Daisies c) Dahlias d) Sunflowers
4. Known in Japan as "sakura", this flower is a national symbol of the island nation.
a) Peach blossom b) Cherry blossom c) Hibiscus d) Iris
5. Phyllocactus Grandis is a cactus flower that blooms at night and dies by sunrise. It is given the nickname ________.
a) Queen of the Night b) Moon flower c) King of Darkness d) The Dream
6. Some U.S. states use flowers for their nicknames. Which state is known as the "Sunflower State"?
a) California b) Kansas c) Florida d) Texas
7. Festive flowers are an important part of the Vietnamese New Year. In the country's North, peach blossom (hoa dao) is the primary festive flower. In the South, it's ________.
a) Hydrangea -hoa cam tu
b) Chrysanthemum -hoa cuc
c) Orchid -hoa lan
d) Ochna integerrima -hoa mai
8. What flower is commonly used in the United Kingdom to commemorate fallen soldiers and the war dead (Remembrance Day)?
a) White rose b) Red poppy c) Yellow lily d) Marigold
9. In Eastern culture, this flower (a favorite of Buddhist monks) is a symbol of spirituality and tranquility.
a) Chrysanthemum b) Tulip c) Lotus d) Narcissus
10. Nicknamed "golden everlasting", this incredibly long-lasting flower looks and feels like a plastic/paper flower.
a) Xerochrysum bracteatum b) Laelia albida c) I am no botany expert
11. The symbol "fleur de lis" is popularly found in many Medieval coats of arms associated with European monarchies. Which flower does this symbol supposedly resembled?
a) Iris b) Andromeda c) Lily d) Dahlia
12. True or False. In addition to ornamental uses, many flowers can also be used for herbal and cosmetic purposes.
1)c 2)b 3)d 4)b 5)a 6)b 7)d 8)b 9)c 10)a 11)c 12)T
Master - 12 correct answers
Expert - 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate - 7 to 9 correct
Beginner - 4 to 6 correct
Novice - Less than 4