Test your knowledge of the Olympics with this fun but challenging trivia quiz. There are a total of 12 multiple-choice questions. Answers can be found at the end of the quiz.
1. The Summer Olympics is held every ________ years.
a) 1 b) 2 c) 4 d) 6 e) Varies
2. Which of the following Olympic sports had featured in both Summer and Winter Games?
a) Curling b) Figure skating c) Biathlon d) Speed skating
3. Countries sometimes boycott the Olympics to make a political statement. Which year did the United States boycott the Summer Games to protest the Soviet Union?
a) 1968 b) 1972 c) 1980 d) 1984 e) None of these
4. Which city hosted the first Olympic Games in modern times?
a) Paris, France b) Rome, Italy c) London, England d) Athens, Greece
5. In the 1980 Winter Olympics, the U.S. men’s ice hockey team defeated which country in an event that was dubbed the “Miracle on Ice”.
a) East Germany b) Czechoslovakia c) Canada d) The Soviet Union
6. The first Asian country to host an Olympic Games was ________.
a) Japan b) China c) South Korea
7. Which of these sports has featured in every Summer Olympics?
a) Equestrian b) Fencing c) Weightlifting d) Wrestling e) Basketball
8. How many nations have participated in all Winter Olympics to date?
a) 12 b) 22 c) 32 d) 42 e) 92
9. The 1972 Olympics in Munich was disrupted by a terrorist attack that resulted in the death of 11 members of this country’s Olympic team.
a) Germany b) United States c) France d) Russia e) Israel
10. Which American TV network currently holds the U.S. broadcasting rights to both the Summer and Winter Olympics?
a) ABC b) CBS c) NBC d) Fox e) ESPN
11. The 2014 Winter Olympics was hosted by which Russian city?
a) Moscow b) Saint Petersburg c) Sochi
12. True or False. The Olympics have roots in ancient Greece.
1)c 2)b 3)c 4)d 5)d 6)a 7)b 8)a 9)e 10)c 11)c 12)T
Master – 12 correct answers
Expert – 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate – 7 to 9 correct
Beginner – 4 to 6 correct
Novice – less than 4 correct