This hurricane quiz has 12 multiple-choice questions. Answers can be found at the end of the page. Enjoy and share them with your weather-curious friends.
1. A typical tropical cyclone (or hurricane) is formed ________.
a) Over land b) In the ocean c) Either A or B
2. In Asia, the equivalent of a hurricane is known by which name?
a) Tropical depression b) Monsoon c) Tsunami d) Typhoon
3. Which of these weather conditions is conducive to hurricane development?
a) Low wind shear b) Cool ocean temperature c) Dry air d) All of the these
4. According to the Saffir-Simpson Scale, a tropical storm has to achieve a sustained wind speed of at least how many miles per hour to become a minimal hurricane (category 1).
a) 64 b) 74 c) 84 d) 99
5. The most destructive hurricane to hit America in the last 80 years was ________.
a) Andrew b) Sandy c) Katrina d) Camille
6. What is widely accepted as the leading cause of hurricane deaths?
a) Strong wind b) Storm surge c) Tornadoes d) Flooding
7. The highest category/level for hurricanes (North Atlantic) is _____.
a) Category 4 b) Category 5 c) Category 6
8. What is the U.S. government agency responsible for tracking hurricanes from inception to landfall?
a) FEMA b) NASA c) NOAA d) USGS
9. When a tropical storm loses all its tropical characteristics, it becomes ________.
a) Extratropical b) Subtropical c) Antitropical d) Tropical depression
10. What is the informal (humorous) term used to describe tropical storms or hurricanes that are not expected to make landfall?
a) Fish storm b) No where storm c) Nor'easter d) No particular name
11. The 2005 Hurricane Season was one of the most active on record. Which of the following was NOT one of the season's seven major hurricanes?
a) Rita b) Dennis c) Igor d) Emily
12. True or False. Names of unusually deadly or costly hurricanes are typically retired after the season (no re-use of these names).
1)b 2)d 3)a 4)b 5)c 6)d 7)b 8)c 9)a 10)a 11)c 12)T
Master - 12 correct answers
Expert - 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate - 7 to 9 correct
Beginner - 4 to 6 correct
Novice - Less than 4