Test your knowledge of track and field with this challenging but fun trivia quiz. There are 12 multiple choice questions. Answers can be found at the end of the quiz.
1. The sport of track and field has roots in ________.
a) Ancient China b) Ancient Egypt c) Ancient Greece d) Ancient Rome
2. Which of the following is NOT a track and field event?
a) Discus throw b) Hammer throw c) Javelin d) Shot put e) Archery
3. The relay race is a team event in track and field. What is the object being relayed by the team’s runners?
a) A torch b) A flag c) An olive branch d) A baton
4. A track and field sprinter can unofficially earn the title “the world’s fastest man or woman” by winning which sprint distance?
a) 50m b) 100m c) 200m b) None of the above
5. The most important track and field competition is ________.
a) The World Championships b) The Diamond League c) The Olympics
6. Which of the following is the organization that governs competitive track and field?
a) IAAF b) ITF c) FINA
7. The heptathlon is consisted of how many track and field events?
a) 4 b) 5 c) 7 d) 8 e) 10
8. Who currently holds the world record in the men’s 100m and 200m sprints?
a) Michael Johnson b) Carl Lewis c) Ben Johnson d) Asafa Powell e) Usain Bolt
9. Which country has historically dominated the sprinting events of track and field?
a) Jamaica b) Canada c) United States d) France e) Russia
10. Which of these combined events is NOT part of track and field?
a) Triathlon b) Pentathlon c) Decathlon d) Heptathlon
11. The longest track and field running event (marathon excluded) is ________.
a) 3000m b) 5000m c) 10000m d) 15000m e) More than 15000m
12. True or False. Doping is a big problem in competitive track and field.
1)c 2)e 3)d 4)b 5)c 6)a 7)c 8)e 9)c 10)a 11)c 12)T
Master – 12 correct answers
Expert – 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate – 7 to 9 correct
Beginner – 4 to 6 correct
Novice – less than 4 correct