This William Shakespeare quiz has 12 multiple-choice questions. Answers can be found at the end of the quiz.
1. Which country was William Shakespeare from?
a) England b) France c) Spain d) Germany e) The United States
2. Which of these is NOT part of Shakespeare’s literary portfolio? (Best Answer)
a) Plays b) Poems c) Novels d) Persuasive essays e) Both c and d
3. William Shakespeare spent most of his life under the reign of which English monarch?
a) King Henry VIII b) Queen Elizabeth I c) King James d) Queen Victoria
4. Not much is known of William Shakespeare’s wife except her name was __________.
a) Ann Shakespeare b) Anne Hathaway c) Lady Macbeth d) Shakespeare was single
5. One of Shakespeare’s most popular plays, Romeo and Juliet, was based on __________.
a) An English tale b) A French tale c) An Italian tale d) The story was an original
6. Which Shakespeare’s play is set in the country of Denmark?
a) Hamlet b) The Tragedy of Macbeth c) The Tempest d) The Winter's Tale
7. Shakespeare was famous for his 154 sonnets. What was the dominant theme in these timeless poems?
a) Family b) Politics c) Friendship d) Love e) Vengeance
8. Most of William Shakespeare’s plays were performed in ________.
a) Salisbury Court Theatre
b) The Rose
c) Curtain Theatre
d) The Globe
e) The Swan
9. Which of these Shakespeare’s plays features mythical Greek characters such as Theseus and Amazon queen Hippolyta?
a) Pericles, Prince of Tyre
b) A Midsummer Night's Dream
c) King Lear
d) Timon of Athens
10. William Shakespeare was part of which English theatre company or group?
a) The King's Men
b) The Admiral's Men
c) The Worcester's Men
d) The King's Revels Children
11. This literary work was said to have been influenced by either Shakespeare’s plays or characters.
a) Tale of Two Cities
b) The Dynasts
c) The Hamlet (novel)
d) Old Man and the Sea
e) Moby Dick
12. True or False. William Shakespeare was highly revered during his lifetime.
1)a 2)e 3)b 4)b 5)c 6)a 7)d 8)d 9)b 10)a 11)e 12)F
Master - 12 correct answers
Expert - 10 to 11 correct
Intermediate - 7 to 9 correct
Beginner - 4 to 6 correct
Novice - Less than 4