a) Cherry Blossom b) Chrysanthemum c) Morning Glory d) Not yet declared
2. In Japanese culture, who are the recipients of chocolates and sweets on Valentine’s Day?
a) Men b) Women c) Seniors d) Everyone e) The Japanese don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day
3. True or False. Most streets in Japan do not have a name.
4. What object/symbol is prominently featured on the Japanese national flag?
a) An eye b) Chrysanthemum flower c) Red sun d) Half moon
5. Japan is plagued with high suicide rates. What is the most popular suicide method?
a) Poisoning b) Gunshot c) Drug overdose d) Hanging e) Jumping off building/into train
6. What is the Japanese term for cherry blossom?
a) Ume b) Yamabuki c) Sakura d) Kobai
7. Japan’s population is estimated to be closer to
a) 25,000,000 b) 50,000,000 c) 100,000,000 d) 200,000,000
8. The Japanese form of comics or printed cartoon is called
a) Anime b) Manga c) Oekaki
9. The first-ever Japanese novel was
a) Tale of Genji b) The Samurai’s Code c) The Twelve Kingdoms d) Naruto
10. The traditional Japanese dish sushi is composed mainly of
a) Fish, sweet egg b) Seafood, vegetables c) Rice, vegetables d) Fish, rice
11. What is Japan’s indigenous religion?
a) Buddhism b) Taoism c) Christianity d) Confucianism e) Shintoism
12. What is the term used to refer to zealous fans of anime, manga, and video games?
a) Otaku b) Anime addict c) Comic geek d) Sensei
1)d 2)a 3)True 4)c 5)d 6)c 7)c 8)b 9)a 10)d 11)e 12)a
Master – 12 correct answers
Expert – 10 to 11 correct answers
Intermediate – 7 to 9 correct
Beginner – 4 to 6 correct
Novice – Less than 4